Friday, December 28, 2012

Smoothies for college students.

Smoothies, if made at home (the ones sold in restaurants/fast food have way too much fat and sugar) 
can be a great way to reach the 5 veggies/fruits goal a day. 
However, if you don't have the time to buy different fruits, peel, cut and slice them all before making your smoothie (so basically if you are a college student like me); it can be difficult to make them. 

I tried once or twice before to go buy fruits, cut them, etc. It often ended up getting bad in the fridge because I had just no time to make smoothies in the morning. Sad I know! 

Fortunately, lately I have discovered that most grocery stores will sell frozen fruit chunks just for smoothies. 
They can be zipped, so you don't have to use ALL the fruit at once and can put it back in the freezer for later (and that way only use what you need.) Just go to the 'fruit frozen section' of your local store. It blew my mind earlier today.

Some brands even have already a mix of fruits ready to go so all you have to do is add ice and/or juice to your blender. Personally I bought one bag of frozen blackberries, one bag of pineapple, one bag of strawberries and one of mango. This way, I can make awesome smoothies for a while fast and without having to worry about using all of the fruits before they get bad. 

  
So... I made 'slooshy', which is basically something in between a smoothie and a slushy. 
  •  Ingredients: half a cup mango chunks; 
  • half a cup pineapple chunks;
  • a sip of almond milk (or more if you want your drink more liquid)
  • 3/4 of a cup of Greek yoghurt 
  • 2 teaspoons of sugar (optional)
  • ice

Use the magic of your blender... and VOILA! Awesome drink, less than 300 calories, and you just fullfilled your dairy (healthy dairy too if you use almond milk instead of cow milk) and two of your fruit/veggie servings per day. You are now a healthy college student. :) 

Other tip... if you want to enjoy it more like an frozen yoghurt, put it in the freezer for a little bit after blending. 




Look at my awesome 'slooshy'! I was so proud I took an Instagram picture of it. I'm not even embarrassed ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment